Amber has been involved with YW's (church youth group-girl's age 12-18) several times and has yet been able to attend girls camp-due to moving or trek. But this year, although she was not directly involved wit the YW in our ward, she was asked to help with the YCL's (youth camp leaders-age 16-18) at stake girls camp this year. So off Amber went to camp for a whole week. So the following will be her personal narrative.
I was so excited to finally be able to attend girl's camp as a leader. Camp is the fun part . . . but I forgot how much planning goes into it. I worked with 2 other fabulous ladies (Amy Smith and Bridget Welch) as YCL leaders. And our whole purpose was to train the YCL girls to be youth camp leaders-lots of training. After many, MANY meetings, girl's camp was finally here...the week of my birthday. But off I went on a vacation from my normal life, but definitely not a vacation-so much work, and of course a little fun too.
While I was away, we had many wonderful friends who took my children during the day. My kids were not even sad to see me go-they were so excited to be able to spend the whole week at a different friend's house each day.
I was so excited to finally be able to attend girl's camp as a leader. Camp is the fun part . . . but I forgot how much planning goes into it. I worked with 2 other fabulous ladies (Amy Smith and Bridget Welch) as YCL leaders. And our whole purpose was to train the YCL girls to be youth camp leaders-lots of training. After many, MANY meetings, girl's camp was finally here...the week of my birthday. But off I went on a vacation from my normal life, but definitely not a vacation-so much work, and of course a little fun too.
While I was away, we had many wonderful friends who took my children during the day. My kids were not even sad to see me go-they were so excited to be able to spend the whole week at a different friend's house each day.
Happy girls-Alex Perez, Tatiana Jenkins, Amanda Crawley, Kimball Smelser, Genevieve Vernon, Morgan Stewart, & Brooke Palmer
So much happened in six days time. These pictures are only a small sampling of what I took/collected and an even smaller sampling of what happened at camp. We were over 50 girls! Needless to say, we had a very large and happening tent. Even with all those girls we did not have any caty-ness or drama. These girls were so AMAZING! I can not say enough wonderful and amazing things about them.
Working Buddies- McKenna Lawrence, Ana Lee, Emma Strong, Ashley Holdaway, Kimball Smelser, Carley Feildstead, Sierra Prudencio, Karlie Campbell, Lucy Barney, Cassidy Young, Estefany Diaz.
The first day, we were up there without the rest of the girls-to prepare for the rest of the week and get all of our things settled.
On Tuesday the rest of the girls came, and all the YCL went to help their assigned wards to set up their own tents. These tents were not the easy pop-uo tents, they were those heavy duty army tents, which are nice to stay in, but hard to put up. And all the girls just got right in there and went to work.
At flag raising and lowering ceremonies, the YCL were not only the MC's but also the cheerleaders, getting everyone pumped up for the day, or for the evening festivities.
The evening festivities were fun-filled. Of course we had ward skits and funny YCL commercials in-between. And then after all our laughs we got a little serious and were uplifted spiritually.
Funny girls: Kellen Fischer and Elaina Bills (got a hold of my camera), Mealtime! our cute headbands that I made, Katie Pritchard, Carley Fieldstead, Emmalee Shumway, Kristen Herrell, more yummy food!With all of the classes, hikes, and preparations for the evening shows, we didn't have much free time, but they sure made the most of it. Mealtimes were great-we had AMAZING cooks that made fabulous food for us-I gained 10 pounds that week!
Dance Party!! Machell Hatch & Carol Smelser, Valerie King & Lucy Barney, Karlie Campbell & Carlie Hansen, Wendy Jones & Krista Robinson.That first night with everyone ended in a massive dance party. So fun to dance so much with so many fun people. With all those endorphins flowing I foolishly broke out my Hammer dance. They thought it was amazing...again must have been all those endorphins flowing.
Craft time: Amy Smith, Bridget Welch, Alex and I, McKenna, Carley, Estefany.
Our wonderful skits and commercials.We came up with 10 different commercials or mini skits. And then we had some guest MC's-Ernesto and Alfonzo and their body guards.
I think the girls enjoyed the first year initiation-they made them dance a silly dance and wear goofy clothes.
This year's hike had something special. Everyone did the same hike. Each person was handed a big paver stone and told they needed to get it to the top of the hike. So everyone had a burden they carried to the top. Once at the top, they were told that they whole time they carried it, there was a gentleman following them with a mule and a pack, waiting for them to give him their burdens. Once at the top we all wrote what burden we wanted to leave with Christ, and out our name on the brick and laid it down to make a path. It was a neat experience.
This year's hike had something special. Everyone did the same hike. Each person was handed a big paver stone and told they needed to get it to the top of the hike. So everyone had a burden they carried to the top. Once at the top, they were told that they whole time they carried it, there was a gentleman following them with a mule and a pack, waiting for them to give him their burdens. Once at the top we all wrote what burden we wanted to leave with Christ, and out our name on the brick and laid it down to make a path. It was a neat experience.The whole week was a giant high, and I was so excited to be there. By the end of the week I was completely exhausted and so ready to be home. It was a wonderful experience! So many wonderful ladies and amazing girls.

No comments:
Post a Comment