Saturday, December 31, 2011

Catching up?

(written by Amber)-Although I usually write all the posts or entries, I like to write in the 3rd person because this is our family's blog/journal, and our ideas collectively, and our adventures...not just mine. But you'l get a little perspective from time to time...like the following:

Travis took the whole week after Christmas off from work. He has been able to do this several years in a row. Some years we go someplace, and other years we stay at home. This year, Kennedy had her tonsils out that week, so we postponed our trip idea and stayed at home. BUT we did a lot of cleaning out and catching up. We cleaned out closets-finally threw out some clothes that we had worn in college or post-mission, cleaned out the diaster that was called the guest room, but in all actuality is the catch all room, cleaned and organized the garage, and most importantly we were able to catch up . . . some. I was able to catch up on all that stuff that you put off, because you can, but it really needs to be done at some point. In doing so I realized that I have gotten behind on things...a lot of things...very behind on this blog/journal for example. This is something that I value, and as a result, I felt bad that I'd let it fall behind. So it got me thinking...what happened to get me so behind?


a new baby!

Who is quite adorable by the way, and a very worthy cause to put other things on the back-burner. But what's funny or interesting is that I usually am able to get right back to things after a baby, and now it's taken me 9 months to feel like I'm getting closer to catching up. Maybe it's an exponential thing...you know something that keeps building with each child that is added to the family. Or maybe we know we have just reached our limit.

Now everyone's limit is different and everyone's limit can change. At one point, I felt that I had reached my limit after 2 kids. I'm so glad that I did not stop there, because it was after child #3 that I started to really enjoy being a mom. Not that I hadn't enjoyed it before, but I mean REALLY enjoyed it and felt that I could be that super fun mom. And maybe it was a combinatio of my other 2 getting older and seeing how fast it all went, or maybe it really was just being pushed a little beyond my comfort zone, and I became a better person.

Now I had felt that we had reached our limit with 4 kids-2 girls, 2 boys-how perfect and even (I'm an even numbers girl). Who would ever want 5? It's an odd number, someone is left out when you go to Disneyland, your car is filled to CAPACITY, and again it's an odd number. And then with 6 we'd have to get an new car, so why even go to 5? Well evidently Heavenly Father thinks 5 is a splendid number, cause that what we were suppossed to have. And now we have cute Colston with us, and I just think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and so cute. Did I mention how cute this kid is? And although I'm just now starting to feel like I'm catchin up on things, they aren't the most important things, and hopefully I'm a better person. Iknow I've chilled out out some-cause no matter how much you want thing to go a certain way, they may just not go that way. And children have their own personalitites-those too stretch us past our own believed limits!

Even though we love our little family, it is still weird to hear that we are a family of 7. Seven?! really? no...1,2,3,4,5,6,...well I'll be, we are a family of Seven!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

So good to hear about your family and your life. What adorable kids you have. I do see a lot of Travis in those boys.

Lauren and Justin said...

A good update! Hearr, hear about kids teaching us moms to chill out and go with the flow, no matter how crazy things go!