Why is it that when people interact with someone who is pregnant, their common sense leaves them? Here is a little help for those who forget what is appropriate and what is not. (This is meant to be funny-although these come from real life examples)
-Do NOT say: "wow you're big!", "you look like you are going to pop", "you just popped out didn't you", "your feet are huge", or anything relating them to the size of an elephant or other large mammal. (Would you say this to anyone who put on 30lbs in 4 months?-Then don't think pregnant women are an exception)
-Do NOT rub their belly like they are some magic lamp. How would you feel if someone just came up and started rubbing your belly? so why is it suddenly kosher because she's with child? (it's not)
-When guessing how far along she is, guess LOW ("You are tiny-are you only 4 months along? wow, you're 8?-no way!") This will flatter her incredibly and she'll love you for it.
-Do NOT refer to her gait (walk) as anything like unto a penguin.
-It's probably safe just to stay away from any animal references.
-No matter how funny you think it is, do NOT give her pickles and ice cream for her birthday present.
-When observing how much she is having for dinner, please hold back the comment "wow!. . it's ok, you're eating for two."
-After her second helping of ice cream, do NOT say "Careful honey, you don't want to keep that baby weight afterward do you?"
Just remember that pregnant women are people too.
(Any that have been forgotten?)
8 comments:
I totally agree! If some stranger came up and started rubbing my stomach, I would teach them a lesson. I would tell them it's a growth- watch how quick they drop their hand! If it's a friend it's not as bad- but still everyone likes their personal space! I have told a few pwople they are not rubbing hte baby- they are rubbing my fat, they stop quite quickly also!
But through all the rubbing and "helpful" advice we get while we are pregnant, it's always worth it when we get to hold our little tiny baby at the end!
Those are awesome! A lot of them sound pretty familiar.... :)
That was great.
Funny story: I knew someone who adopted a baby, and the first week she took the baby to church, someone came up to her and said, "Wow. I didn't even know you were pregnant. I mean, I knew you had gained some weight, but..."
It's practically essential to eat seconds on ice cream when you're pregnant--and it needs to be the good stuff--none of that low fat fake ice cream. Husbands who are not aware that the nutrients that form baby's brain come from fat need to brush up on basic nutrition. While you're at it, have lots of nuts on top!
My kids think it's really funny to get on your page and watch your baby bounce everytime it's head touches the edge- they can't wit for ours to start doing that!
Those are great. I've definitely had some of those comments!! I'm sure you look just fabulous, as always! Hope you're doing well. I miss seeing you around!
I don't think it's possible for you to look big while prego. You are so tiny. Just bring on another cute Wiser to the fam! Miss ya girl. Dani
It's all in good fun...just don't rub the belly or mention a THING about extra weight gain that may happen after birth...the rest of it is all part of the fun!
Post a Comment